Neil's Cabin Pics
Neil and I intercepted a poorly built house on it's way to the landfill during September of 1999.
Neil was able to dismantle it all and salvage almost all of it. It was located only a few miles
north of our place right next to the paved county road. The logistics were superb. He could ride
his bike to the demolition site with ease. Neil was able to extract an amazing pile of 2x4s,
2x6 to 16', 6x6 beams to 16', numerous logs with paralleled edges, windows, doors, insulation
and plywood. There was more than enough sheet metal roofing to make a nice covered wood shed
for our white trash hot tubs (dumpster dived bath tubs). He left the particle board and smaller
material that was just too tedious to salvage. One day in November after I had my straw bale
cabin essentially done for stuccoing on the outside, my inner voice said get something built
from Neil's salvaged materials. So we embarked on this cabin project that took more time than
I wanted and more effort than I planned. We have about 3 weeks of non stop work invested into
this cabin so far. Yet it was an amazing learning experience from a project management perspective.
I have come to appreciate the cleanliness of new lumber. I also like the fact that new lumber
does not have hidden nails in it to quickly dull a Skil saw blade. Yet new lumber will never have
the satisfaction of salvage.
Clearing ground for Neil's cabin.
Brad and Roadkill pouring the cement footings.
The buckets were quicker and easier than making wooden forms.
Weeks later I relaized that the buckets wer much more expensive
than if we had made forms out of sheet rock and scrap lumber.
I also wanted room underneath for storage and for dealing with the wood rats etc.
A floor too close to the ground could have presented a lot of regrets later.
Brad checking the pour.
Neil bringing 2x6 sections down from our high ground storage.
The road was too muddy to navigate without 4WD, which was broken during this shot.
Assembling the roof trusses while we had decent temperatures for the glue to set.
At this point in the project the weather was warm enough that we were able to work
in shorts only!
A closer look at the trusses.
The joist/rafter junctions are from left over plywood from a shed that I dismantled last June.
The top rafter plates are dumpster dived cable spool rounds that I have saved for the last 3 years
They were originally going to be geodesic dome hub joints. They turned out to be rather valuable in that
I can get 16 of them from a sheet of plywood at almost $20 per sheet.
I needed 18 of them for this project, so that saved over a sheet of plywood and at least one tree somewhere.
Laying in the sheet metal floor undercover that will keep the rats and mice
from getting into the floor insulation. The rats will take available insulation to make nests.
Back in the 70's, my buddy Mark was living on the Oregon coast. The Chipmunks there cleaned out
all of the insulation in about a 50' section of wall in a trailer addition due to available holes
for them to get in to.
Now Neil and Doug flip the west half floor section over so that the metal is on the bottom.
Now the west half of the floor is in place.
Now we assemble the east half floor section on top of the west side section.
Now we align the floor sections with brute force and nail them in to place.
Raising the west wall. We opted to put flooring in last since we wanted the
options for custom fitting different sections of dumpster dived materials.
This allows options for creating underfloor storage and cold box access.
Neil smiling at the success of our first wall up and in place.
Our only delay on the walls was deciding which dumpster dived doors and
windows he wanted and where to put them.
Raising the east wall.
The east wall done!
Raising the north wall.
All the walls up and done.
Neil and Doug bring in the first truss.
Getting the first truss positioned to rotate up on to the east wall.
The first truss in place.
We held it in place with a couple of temporary vertical 2x6s on the east wall.
All of the trusses up!
All of the dumpster dived 1x4 perlins installed on the rafters.
Starting the north roof.
Installing the dumpster dived sliding glass door skylight.
I am running a block and tackle set to raise the window in to position.
This was an all day engineering feat with a horrible learning curve.
The rope in this shot is at least 50 feet in length.
We shingled in the three cutouts that made the sky light opening and
finished off the last 18 inches with a dumpster dived scrap of light blue
This is the day after we finished the roof. Nothing like livin' on the edge.
This is another eason why it is a good idea to cleanup after working this late in
the season. Tools get lost very quick under just an inch of snow. Our pry bar was missing
for the week that the snow was still on the ground. And borads with nails are rather
scary in this kind of snow sitiuation.
The south side with dumpster dived sliding glass door windows the next spring.
Neil on the front side.
The front side with the door installed.
The south and west sides rat proofed with salvaged plywood.